Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Power of Argument

I have recently been listening to some sermons given by various pastors from my church family on the topic of Evangelism. While such is often a dirty word in modern culture (as was admitted in the sermons), it is one that we as Christians must inevitably face and struggle with, as on no uncertain terms are we told in the scriptures to share our faith with others ("always be prepared to given an answer when asked about the hope that you have"). Thus, it isn't an option for us to bow to the "modesty" thrust upon us by modern culture, acquiescing to the demand to keep our faith out of the public sphere. Therefore, the question of how to do so becomes of vital importance.

I once heard a pastor point out that in this day and age, it is often just a struggle to get people (younger people in particular) to admit that there is some standard of right and wrong that exists. Modern ideas seem to be thrusting upon us the concept that "to each their own". Now, even as a Christian, I know that we, as Paul says, "see through a glass darkly". Thus, we will always have an imperfect view of right and wrong, of good and evil, and there will be always be debates. But we Christians know, of course, that a standard exists, and that standard is God.

The point here is that sometimes it is a struggle even to get someone to admit that a concept such as "truth" exists. Or perhaps beyond that, that "knowable truth" exists. As an atheist, that was the place I found myself in - guessing that even if God himself were to stick his head out of the clouds tomorrow, how could I know it was Him, and not some terrifying demon? Or merely an insane vision brought on by some unknown cause? This leads us to the idea that Evangelism is, therefore, many things. Part of it lies in the understanding that in an idea so vast as God, there are many former conclusions one must come to first. For instance, if one refuses to admit to an idea such as the validity of truth claims, that will ever remain a barrier to faith. Even if one were to admit to this, there is then the question of the evidence for God, or whether or not even a shred of evidence exists for what I will here call (as have many) the "spiritual world".

In other words, when engaging in evangelism, we must realize that the road to God often contains many side paths and intricacies, and a great many barriers. I know for a fact that some, fortunate souls that they are, have a blinding realization of God, and are instantly converted. And such a thing I would love to see. My own path to the faith (and I would guess the path that most converts take, especially those later in life) was much more winding and torturous, as has been recounted under my link near the top of the page. But for a quick summary, it consisted of a long series of arguments and discussions with people in the church, and with various authors (in my head, of course), that slowly broke down the barriers and put me in a position where I could finally, honestly ask God to show his presence.

This, then, leads me to the point of this post. I believe that the power in our arguments is the ability to help get someone to the point where they can allow God to act. God gave us free will, which means the ability to accept God, and also the ability to reject him. One common thread I have heard through so many stories of conversion is that those involved finally got to a point of crisis, where they needed God, or, in my case, a point of longing, where they finally desired God, and then he acted, and entered our lives. I was once having a conversation with Jon Tyson (the founder of the Trinity Grace church family) and, hearing my story, he pointed out that it merely reinforced his idea that God will always enter the hearts of those who ask. I'm not here going to grapple with those who state the obvious, that of course God does, that the mind is a powerful thing, and will create the spiritual experiences we long for. I am convinced that my experience, and the experiences of those in a similar situation, transcends simple mental gymnastics, but again, that is a different argument for another post.

Thus, sometimes the best victory that one evangelizing to another can hope for is a simple acknowledgement of the existence of truth, or perhaps that the stories of Christianity may not be as far-fetched as they seem (that, arguably, was my most significant step - from seeing Christianity not in the realm of fantasy but in that of plausibility), or perhaps just that it's possible that there is a spiritual world out there that's beyond our scientific knowledge. One point I like to bring up is that there are many even in the modern day, who have very convincing stories of supernatural happenings. I've had very credible sources tell me second-hand stories of miraculous happenings, one in a situation where I had not met the source of the story, but seen him speak, and knew him to be a reasonable and intelligent man.

These stories do not prove the truth of Christianity. But they do cast doubt on the idea that we merely live in a strictly material world that can be defined by our scientific understanding of it. It's one piece of the puzzle, and these pieces can add up to a coherent whole, where suddenly the idea of the God of Abraham and Jesus suddenly seems far more likely than it once did. And that leaves room for God to do the rest. We can't hope to carry the load of converting others ourselves, and thankfully we don't have to - God in his infinite love and desire to have every one of us love him in return, will inevitably draw all to him who wish it.




No comments:

Post a Comment